Thursday, May 13, 2010

Flying the Flag



My terrace is too small for me to take a good shot, but the flag is flying.

This weekend, I'm Woodstalking your Girlfriend will be running from Woodstock to New York. We cross the start line at 8am and run non-stop until we get to Dobbs Ferry, hopefully not too late for lunch on Saturday. It's a relay team, some are friends, other I haven't met but they'll have become friends by the end of this.

That or we'll have killed each other from being trapped in a van together for so long. But I don't think that's going to happen.

I have no idea how this is going to go; there are too many variables, from the weather, to injuries, to exchange points in gravel lots, but whatever happens I'm sure it's going to be great.

When I mention I'm doing this I usually get one of two replies. One is a bug eyed OMG, that sounds awesome response, usually accompanied by an I wish I could do that or I'd like to do that sentiment. The other response is a puzzled, maybe even concerned for my sanity "Why? Is this for charity?"

Though proceeds from the race are donated to charity, we're not running for charity. We're doing this for fun.

Oh, it's going to be rough at times. Our team has already taken a few hits. It should have been twelve of us, but it's going to be eleven (get well, Nick!), and a few of us might be limping a little. But how can it not be fun to run with a team named I'm Woodstalking your Girlfriend that has a kick-ass logo, a flag, a song, and even a surgically enhanced mascot?

I'm doing this because I want to know what it will feel like to be at the edge of exhaustion, running along a dark road at 3am in the morning, and feel my heart fill with the sliver of light at the edge of the horizon. And I want to know what it's like to do this with friends, because at the end of that run, there will be a stinky van full of friends, ready to help me hop on, and pass me a towel to dry me off, and a blanket to keep me warm.

Random cheering texts for me and my team from Friday through Saturday are greatly encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. or not quite anonymous

    Well, my dear, good run, have fun. Although something so akin to torture does not quite sound like fun to me. But I admire your determination and willingness to stretch your boundaries. And to look for the positive aspects of anything you try.
    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Linda!
    Thank you for the good wishes. It was torture, but it was also a lot of fun and an amazing experience. Love you tons! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete