Monday, October 12, 2009

Untitled post #1

The pressure had been mounting for some time. The idea of writing a blog is not an original one, but at some point it became a necessary one. Though I don’t have any trouble coming up with things to write about, I don’t write because I have important things to say, or for any sort of artistic literary ambitions. I write because I can’t help it.

Blogs now seem must-haves for writers, including prospective authors. At first I was worried about how having a blog might affect me. I was concerned both about the time spent blogging and how blogging might affect my non-writing time.

As someone who needs a day job in order to support the writing habit, I already have difficulties scratching out writing time from busy days. The additional demands that blogging could place on me seemed like too much.

And then there was the idea of having blogging take over my life. I don’t want to be constantly thinking about the blog, have my choice of activities affected by their blogability, or worse, become so blog-conscious that I would become incapable of enjoying my day-to-day activities without immediately start thinking about how to write about them.

I might not be able to escape that fate, but maybe it won’t be all bad. There’s a chance that fully embracing this modern world might turn out something like this. (Thanks to Moonrat for sharing that video sometime last July.)

No comments:

Post a Comment