Sunday, October 25, 2009

Naked



The minute I saw it I knew it had to be mine. It was brand new studio with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances and a terrace with a water view, but it was the light that did it. Afternoon light spilled onto the floor and bounced in honey colored splashes on the wall, while gold leaves glinted on the river in the distance.

In the morning, a marshmallow white light snuck into the apartment without knocking. The tree that stands by my windows let it in, and it danced to the tune rustling leaves played.

After the nightmare the previous apartment had been, I was happy to keep this décor in this one minimal and saw no need for curtains. The tree’s canopy was large enough to protect me from eyes peering through the front windows and he sliding glass doors that open from the kitchen into the terrace have a more limited view into the apartment, and from a greater distance. I decided I would just do my best to wear clothes while in that part of the apartment and worry about window treatments later.

A few weeks ago it started getting cold. I could feel a draft in the kitchen – one that could be stopped by curtains. Then leaves turned yellow, and I knew I was running out of time.
For the past week I’ve been sneaking around my apartment in the evenings, keeping the lights low, and trying to remember to close the bathroom door.

Last night it rained hard for a few hours and this morning my front windows were completely naked. Not a leaf left. Time to come up with something.

No comments:

Post a Comment