Monday, March 16, 2020

Quarantine Resources for Little Kids

Covid-19, Day 1 of NYC School Closures.

Hello, all!

For those who don't know me, I'm a mamá of two. They are three and five at the time, and this is going to be interesting. I'm an organizer and a planner, and I'm trying to provide my kids some structure for their benefit and ours.

I've seen an overwhelming amount of fantastic resources being shared on social media, and as I struggle to keep track of them, organize them, remember them, I thought I'd collect them here. I'll update as I gather more. I won't be able to vet all these, but they come from trusted resources.

If you see anything that should not be here, please let me know. It's been a long while since I've blogged and I'm a little rusty at this, but I hope it's easy to see where the link are. Also, I'll be looking for bilingual resources to add soon.

Emotional Well Being
First of all, let's deal with talking to the kids about what's going on. Here are two helpful articles shared by Counselor Sánchez, the school counselor at LEEP, where my oldest attends Kindergarten.


Create a Schedule
Even if it's a super flexible one, it is helpful to have a go to when kids ask what's next. We're currently putting together our own version, but here are some I've seen circulating.

My friend @nycsharaton put together the following game board style calendar. We're probably doing a version of this.

She used Heidi Dickey's Visual Schedule Cards for this.

For older kids and confident readers, lists can also work. Here are two different versions.


















The one on the left was a repost from @steelmylunch by @kristenanniebell. I can't find the source for the one on the right.

Khan academy also shared this guide.


Virtual Field Trips
Go to Mars, or the Louvre! All from your living room.
Virtual Field Trips

Listen to a Podcast
Kids love podcasts! Who would have thought? Our very favorite is Circle Round by NPR. Our kids just can't get enough of their stories.

Here's a list of kids podcasts posted by commonsense media, if you want to explore more,

Get Moving
Ballet! Dance with Daniella Ballerina on YouTube

Do some Yoga! We love Cosmic Kids on YouTube or you can get the app. Yoga through stories.

I've heard good things about GoNoodle, but I haven't had a chance to check it out extensively.

Music
We got this one from Susan Fox at Park Slope Parents. It's a list of live streams from children's musicians around the globe: Kid's shows Corona

Suzi Shelton, probably our very favorite Kindie Rocker, is going to be doing live facebook shows daily at 4pm EST.

For some Spanish/English bilingual music videos, check out Nathalia.

Learn Something
List of educational companies offering free online resources: Amazing Educational Resources.

Fluency and Fitness seems to combine both learning and movement.

Read Something
Lots of free books online, will dig a little deeper. Also there are plenty of youtube videos of people reading kids books. I'm planning on starting to add my own too, since I don't think there are as many available in Spanish.

Make Something!
Doodle with Mo Willems! If your kids are Elephant and Piggie fans, you should check out Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems.

Draw something, keep a journal, get the play-doh out.

I need some good links for crafts that only require things you might already have in your home.

Random
If all else fails, here's a giant list of random things to do with kids when stuck at home.

Remember to be kind to yourselves and to others. We're all doing our best. Thank you all for sharing these wonderful tools. If you have some you'd like me to add, please let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment